Feel free to email me here.
You are more than welcome to use my designs and creations on your own site - as long as I am credited and you put a link back to www.pompomemporium.com
First make a pattern, to do this measure the height and around your book plus an amount for inside flaps. Add a seam allowance of 1cm (3/8th") all round plus an extra 0.5cm (3/16th") to the top and bottom of your pattern.
Cut out two pieces from the pattern.
Place the 2 pieces right sides together, and pin them.
Using a straight stitch, sew them together along the edges (seam allowance of 1cm (3/8th"). Leave a 5cm (2") gap, along one of the short edges, and use it to turn the cover right side out.
Trim the corners, so that there won't be any bulky fabric when you turn it right side out.
Turn right side out, Sew the gap closed and press.
Take your cover and wrap it around your book so that the flaps on the inside are even on the front and back, mark with pins.
Carefully remove your book and iron the flaps down so that you have a visible crease. Now sew the flaps down at the top and bottom edges of your book cover, as close to the edges as you can get it.
Slip your cover on to your book
I bought some ribbon before Christmas, from the local market, wired edged ombre ribbon. Because the colours are graduated I thought they would make interesting flowers. I cut a length of ribbon 70cm long, removed the wire, by pulling it, from one edge, the base edge. At either end of the ribbon I folded over the ends, as shown in the photograph. With a needle and thread I sewed a running stitch along the length of the ribbon. I pulled the thread, to gather the ribbon, not too gathered or the flower would look like a rosette! I needed to form the rose naturalistically, so this stage was a bit of trial and error. Once the desired rose form was achieved, I stitch it securely together at the base. The wired edge allowed me to shape and form the ribbon, to give the appearance of petals. I think these roses have lots of possibilities, they could be used to decorate a hat, hair band, corsage, an evening bag and lots more.
I got my ribbon from the local market, the haberdashery stall sells ribbon in 3 meter bundles for 60p, it's a bit of a lucky dip though, alternatively you could get it from VV Rouleaux for over £2.50 per metre.
My theme this week has been flowers made from fabric, I think I'm looking forward to spring, wishing away these cold winter days.
These flowers are so easy to make but I think look spectacular. I bought organza made from polyester, silk organza won't work, from the local market, only £2 a metre. I chose a few plain colours but also found a couple that were multi coloured, these are particularly good for depth and colour variation when constructing a flower.
For the pattern I cut out three concentric circles, I just drew round drinking glasses and a lid.
It's the melting properties of the manmade fibre that turn the flat circle of organza into a bowl shape. Over the flame of a night light, very carefully (fire hazard alert!), holding the edge of the fabric circle, turn it slowly. This is trial and error, but you soon get the feel for how fast and how far, from the flame, you need to be, to achieve the shape you desire.
When you have made your required amount of 'petals' start to stack them together. The larger petals/leaves at the base of the flower can be slightly offset to mimic real petals. Sew them all together, through the centre. Decorate the centre of the flower with beads and sequins.
I saw this idea for a card on Frugal Family Fun Blog, Valerie has created a lovely tutorial, showing children making the cards. I just like the clever way she has not only utilised the concertina effect but also the curve of the cupcake case, to such good effect.